2 months before the race: The plan was to add speed work back in to my routine and really focus on running a PR but with the diagnosis of Plantar Fascittus, I had to alter my training. I took time off from running, incorporated more swimming/biking into my routine and started (a pretty serious regiment of) ART, graston and acupuncture. Needless to say, this is not the recipe for running a PR.
1 week before the race: Race Day: It was so hot on July 23, that Pacers offered deferments to the 2012 race for individuals who felt they could not safely compete. I had to adjust my goals for the CTT 5k - and I was okay with that. Instead, I was excited to run a night race and hang out with BJ. Thoughts: Very well organized event with plenty of volunteers, water stations, and ice sponges. My only complaint would be that about 100m into the race, we ran around a short “U” {think apartment building round-about} that was sectioned off by cones. No one was expecting it and no one could see the cones until you were right on them - people were tripping, I had to catch a women from falling and people were yelling (they were pissed). The cones were there because we ran back through the round-about on the return lap, but there would have been plenty of time between the 1st runner/last runner to add the cones after the race had started. Overall, I think the CTT 5k was a good race (albiet extremely HOT) and I'll plan on running it again next year. While I didn't run a PR (I was almost 1 minute off my current PR), I had a great time. BJ and I stayed after the race to talk, hang out and grab a beer. I also had a chance to meet some awesome bloggers that live and race in the area. It was a really fun night! Stats Blogger Meet-Up: I’ve followed these blogs/ladies for a few months now and they rock. It was fun to finally meet Lauren, Katie and Amy in real life! Don't forget out my CamelBak Groove Giveaway {HERE}
a) ART, graston and acupuncture seem to be working. I’m able to run (virtually pain free) - but also have to take my foot into consideration while training. If I run consecutively for 2 days, I usually take the following 2 days off from running (I’m swimming & biking instead). While I’m extremely thankful that I am able to run, I’m aware that I have not properly trained to run a 5k PR.
b) The Washington D.C. area experienced record highs with temperatures in the high 90’s - 100’s (and “real feel” in the 120’s). It was HOT. Training may or may not have been affected due to heat.
The course was flat and fast. It seemed a little long (my Garmin said 3.26) but the course was mostly an out and back, so that always seems to make things “longer”.
Time: 21:05
Overall: 125/1,605
Female: 21/838
AG: 13/292
L-R: me, Katie, Lizzy, Amy and Lauren
you got to meet Kate?!?!? so. jealous.
ReplyDeletegreat racing!
Great to meet you on Saturday. Congrats on a sweet race time!
ReplyDeleteAwesome time in such hot weather!
ReplyDeleteyay for meeting in person! I also think Phil has a man crush on BJ. :)
ReplyDeleteNice job! Such an amazing time!!
ReplyDeleteMy husband is suffering from PF, and you think the ART and Graston helped? Any other advice for someone trying to deal with this?
I wish I would have thought to look for all the DC-running bloggers I read at the CCT on Saturday! It was my first 5K in over 5 years and I knocked out a time much faster than I anticipated given the heat. I thought the race was really fun - even though it was an out/back, which I usually hate.
ReplyDeleteCongrats on your amazing time! You're such a speedy inspiration.
A great preformance in the heat or frankly anytime. Nice job!
ReplyDeletegreat job!
ReplyDeleteGreat time! You are so speedy especially for doing it in this heat! I hate out and backs, I much prefer a nice loop.
ReplyDelete